Thursday, October 9, 2014

Final Blog Reflection - Voyeurism





Conceptual Intentions:
           We chose to evoke a predator prey relationship in our project as the unseen spectator. We wanted the predator to be the unseen spectator. After numerous ideas brought up in our brainstorming phase, we felt that this was the most intriguing idea. I felt I really gained an appreciation for sculpture. I really enjoyed the week long process of creating our 3d diorama. Although no one in our group was very skilled in sculpture we were still able to create a very realistic, winter landscape. The composition of the photos and landscape features of the diorama evoke my voice as an artist. I feel that as the project progressed I changed and altered our base ideas to accommodate my ideas as an artist as well as my fellow group members.


Stretch and Explore:
             At the very start of the project we wanted to evoke a man made vs. nature relationship using an animal and a camera. But after a day we decided that the predator prey relationship would be more intriguing. As the project progressed, especially when we were photographing our project, we were constantly changing the angles and perspective of the viewer. We finally chose a photo that we felt most resembled our first intentions for the project. Occurrences that led to these changes came after we would observe our work from the previous day. We would upload our photos, go through all of them and then decide what we need to change and improve. During the sculpture process we ran into many obstacles as we were unable to create many of our initial ideas as we did not have the materials or knowledge of how to create these things such as a peak of a mountain. I feel that we could have used some more trees to make a denser forrest and that way we could play with depth of field and lighting a little more. I also think that we could have used a different substance for our fake snow because it was fairly messy. But other than that I think we did a very good job with our approach to the project.


Formal Intentions:
            Formal concerns for this project were our ability to really capture and evoke the sense of an unseen spectator. Another concern was if we were going to be able to create a realistic diorama to photograph. I felt that just purely working on the project and spending a week photographing and a week creating the sculpture allowed me to gain a deep understanding of how to photograph a model diorama and what affects to use in order to make it realistic. To make our photos have sense of realism to the viewer we used a fog machine to blur the background. We also added small details to the model animals such as placing snow on their backs as well as the trees. I felt the these concerns definitely expanded the conceptual experience of the project as I felt I learned a lot from my experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment