Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Into the Darkroom



           To me, the darkroom allows me to really explore photography. I feel the whole process of using a film camera and then having to process and use an enlarger to develop pictures is a very meaningful experience. Before the year started I thought that I would just want to do digital photography but I find that being in the darkroom is a great experience to explore new areas of photography. Especially after yesterday, the feeling after getting a successful print is really awesome. In the darkroom there tends to a lot of anxiety as I place prints into the developer waiting for them to come out. I think this applies much more to the pinhole camera project because you have one picture only. Before going into the darkroom and developing prints I always thought that film cameras and pictures were much easier to make, but that was definitely not true. Taking film photographs and then having to develop them is a long process in which I feel that I kinda get attached to the photos, unlike digital photography where I can take thousands of pictures but with a film camera you only have so many and then with those few, you can tinker and make each one look the way I want it to, in the darkroom. I am definitely looking forward to working in the darkroom over the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment